There is no legal definition of an intern, however a good guideline is that interns should develop their professional skills and understanding of a profession by undertaking work of value for an employer.
Internships are short-term positions that offer mutual benefits to the host organisation and the intern. An internship provides a work-based learning opportunity for individuals who wish to develop hands-on experience in a certain occupational field.
Internships should be clearly distinct from other opportunities that may be available in your organisation, such as job roles, work experience, apprenticeships or volunteering.
All Disability Equality Internships will be temporary positions delivering a specific, discrete piece of work “providing the organisation with a short term resource to deliver this meaningful work which is of value to the organisation and at the same time providing the intern with a satisfying work experience”.
- All internships will last a total of 455 hours, allowing flexibility with the weekly work hours based on reasonable adjustment needs. All internships have started by 30 June 2017.
- All interns should be paid a minimum of £8.45 an hour. Employers are encouraged to pay more when possible.
- Interns should be provided with a job title and clearly defined role. This role should give the intern the opportunity to produce work independently and hold responsibilities within the organisation.
- All interns have an employee/employer relationship with their host organisation. They must legally become an employee of the organisation and be issued with a contract of employment and terms and conditions of employment as well as being subject to all existing organisational policies (e.g. health and safety, equalities etc).
- Internships should be designed to allow the participant to develop existing skills and acquire new ones in order to enhance their career prospects.
- All interns should be supervised.
- On completing their internship, all interns should have demonstrable evidence of the work they have done that will enhance their CV or portfolio.