What legal procedures and licences do you need to be aware of when running a voluntary organisation?

Fire safety

The Fire Safety Act places responsibility for assessing risk to those with control of any premises

Music & film licensing

If you or people using your facilities use music for the benefit of customers, visitors or staff, you need permission from the relevant copyright owners

Premises licensing

If you want to serve alcohol, food, or provide entertainment you will need to contact your local authority to apply for a premises licence

Food hygiene & catering

How to provide food in a village hall or other community setting

Health & safety

It is the responsibility of the voluntary management committee to ensure the health and safety of employees, volunteers and visitors

Freedom of Information Act

Freedom of Information is a valuable resource for the voluntary sector

Data protection

If you hold and process information about your clients, employees or suppliers, you are legally obliged to protect that information

Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme

The PVG Scheme is a registration system for anyone who carries out work (paid or unpaid) with vulnerable groups in Scotland.